Creative and Expressive Arts Faculty
Music in Year 7
During year 7 we explore the following topics:
Emotions: identifying, analysing and dealing with emotions
- Understanding music: Learning and developing music notation skills
- Indian Music
- Early Music
- Cover Versions: Ensemble work
Music in Year 8
During year 8 we explore the following topics:
Textures: Exploring and developing the use of textures in music
- Film Music
- Dance music
- Rock and Roll
- Music and Media
- Theme and Variation
Music in Year 9
During year 9 we explore the following topics:
- Pop Music- Hooks and Riffs
- Song Writing
- Reggae music
- Music of the Seasons
- Music for special occassions
Music in Year 10 and 11
Students follow the Edexcel GCSE course.
- 30% Performance. Pupils are expected to produce 1 solo performance and 1 ensemble performance- it is essential that you sing or play an instrument but no particular grades are required.
- 30% Composition. Pupils compose 2 pieces of music inspired by music studied in lessons- Sibelius 7 is used for this.
- 40% Listening exam. Pupils analyse 12 set works from a variety of genres and answer listening questions and an essay question in the final exam.
Cadence: A vocal harmony group (Monday 12.45)
This is an audition only vocal group. We will be entering compositions and performing in concerts across the country.
School Orchestra (Tuesday 12.45)
Open to pupils who play an instrument, either in or out of school.
Composition Club (Tuesday 3.20)
This is aimed at GCSE pupils wishing to enhance their composition, using Sibelius 7.
Worship Group (Wednesday 12.45)
The Worship Group is a religious band who sing and play at the schools Church services.
Music Theory Group (Thursday 12.45)
Any pupils who wish to improve their knowledge of musical theory- this is especially aimed at those pupils undertaking Theory Grade Exams or GCSE Music.
Whole school production (Thursday afterschool)Each year The National Church of England Academy puts on a fantastic production of a musical. These are usually very popular, and are of a high standard, with students of all ages getting involved. The production for 2014/2015 is ‘We Will Rock You’ on 24th, 25th, 26th March 2015. For tickets please contact the academy on 0115 9635667.
GLEE Club (Friday 12.45)
This is for all pupils of any age who enjoy singing (and dancing!)